Oil & Gas Financial Journal Transaction of the Year, West Coast 2013
Awarded to: Freeport McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc.
Oil & Gas Awards Judges Comments
“Size and scope combined with the complexity of the deal makes this an outstanding transaction.”
“Standout size and complexity of the transaction. Unexpected nature for traditional mining company – demonstrates creative vision. Financial strength of parties.”
Freeport McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. – Corporate Overview
Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. (FCX) is a leading international natural resource company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. The company’s portfolio of assets includes the Grasberg mining complex in Indonesia, one of the world’s largest copper and gold deposits, significant mining operations in the Americas, including the large scale Morenci minerals district in North America and the Cerro Verde and El Abra operations in South America, and the Tenke Fungurume minerals district in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
In the second quarter of 2013, FCX completed the acquisitions of Plains Exploration & Production Company and McMoRan Exploration Co. The transactions add a high quality portfolio of oil and gas assets to FCX’s global mining business. The acquired business provides exposure to energy markets with positive fundamentals, strong margins and cash flows and a large resource base with financially attractive exploration and development investment opportunities.
FCX’s oil and gas portfolio includes significant oil production facilities and growth potential in the Deepwater Gulf of Mexico (GOM), strong oil production from the onshore Eagle Ford trend in Texas, established oil production facilities onshore and offshore California, large onshore resources in the Haynesville natural gas trend in Louisiana, and an industry leading position in the emerging shallow water, ultra-deep gas trend on the Shelf of the GOM and onshore in South Louisiana.
West Coast 2013 Winners
- Construction Company of the Year - The Source Group, Inc.
- Corporate Consultancy of the Year - Brown Armstrong Certified Public Accountants
- Corporate Social Responsibility Initiative of the Year - Signal Hill Petroleum, Inc
- Drilling Company of the Year - Kenai Drilling
- E&P Company of the Year - Hathaway, LLC
- Engineering Company of the Year, Inc. - TJ Cross Engineers, Inc.
- Environmental Initiative of the Year by a Service Provider - Baker Hughes
- Environmental Initiative of the Year by an E&P Company - E&B Natural Resources Management Corporation
- Geophysical Company of the Year - NodalSeismic, LLC
- Health & Safety Initiative of the Year - Sage Environmental Consulting L.P.
- Industry Supplier of the Year - J.D. Rush Company, Inc.
- Law Firm of the Year - Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Manufacturer of the Year - Celanese
- Oil & Gas Financial Journal Transaction of the Year - Freeport McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc.
- Oilfield Service Company of the Year - Halliburton
- Operational Consultancy of the Year - Total Safety
- Risk Management Provider of the Year - Commercial Global Insurance Services of California, LLC
- Trucking Company of the Year - Gazelle Transportation, Inc.